Monday 3 April 2017

After work I pulled the rails. I want to refinish them. I had two that leaked as the bolt that holds them in place goes thru the cabin top. I bored 1 " holes up to the top layer on those two. The core is dry so the leak must have just ran down the long bolt. I made a couple of guides in order to hold the hole location when I refill. I made them on a lathe today. There is a pin that goes thru the drilled hole in the outer layer. the segment after that is tapered 1 degree (A draft angle) I will wax the pin and locate it. Then using rings of woven glass and epoxy, I will fill the hole back in. I should be able to tap on it from above to knock it out, leaving a core for the new bolt to go thru. Once the fiberglass is built up to being flush, I will grind it back a little and finish with a two part filler. the trick here is to keep that layer thin.  I built a long board and have sand paper starting at 80 grit, down to 220. That is going to be fun! Well...onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment